Friday, May 23, 2008

Luke Update

Yesterday, we had a dr. visit to check the shape of Luke's head as his dr. requested. Long story short, his dr. referred us to a specialist who will fit him with a helmet to mold his head.

Thankfully, the helmet is only being used for cosmetic reasons and not a medical necessity. I asked the dr. if Luke would have any problems in the years to come with his brain pressing on his skull. He said no since it wasn't pressing on it now, it would not later on. The brain will conform to however your skull grows so it would just adapt to the shape even if we didn't get the helmet. But his dr. said that since he has a significant flat area, he definitely recommended he be fitted. So we go to Vanderbilt on June 4 to meet with the specialist who will fit him.

I really hate that he has to wear the helmet, but I know he won't remember it and he'll be glad we did it for him. He may have to wear it for 4-6 months and pretty much all day and night except at bath time. On the plus side, Lauren won't be able to bing him in the head as easily! :) So that will help the little guy out.

Enjoy the pics of the sweet little boy and have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

hate that he has to wear the helmet but glad it is for a short time and that everything is ok. Be sure to scap this time for him!

LHall said...

I'm glad he is going to be ok and like you said he won't remember this time. I thank the Lord that everything is ok. I'll talk to you later.

Love ya,
Laura