Yesterday, I participated in the breast cancer "Race for the Cure" walk. Myself, Robert's cousin Julia and her mom (Robert's aunt) Ruth joined a couple thousand people downtown for the event. Ruth is a survivor of breast cancer and this was her second "Race for the Cure" event to walk in. Way to go Ruth! 
The event was really a lot of fun. I wish I was able to run the 5k already but maybe next time. The festivities for the race started around 8am and included lots of free stuff as well as information about breast cancer awareness. Each person that registered for the race received a shirt to wear and each survivor that participated wore pink shirts.
As I looked around at all the survivors, I realized that breast cancer affects women of all ages, all sizes, all colors, and all backgrounds. What really amazed me though were the younger women who were survivors. Women who were maybe only a few years older than myself or maybe even my age. That was a big eye opener for me. Breast cancer is one of the top (if not the #1) killer among women.
If I learned one thing from this event, it is to be more conscience about my health (breast cancer specifically) and to share that with the women in my life. It's something I've taken for granted, but now I plan to be more proactive when it comes to things like checking for lumps, eating better, and exercising more--things we all know we should do! :) So to all you girls out their "Save the ta-ta's" as one of the breast cancer slogans say! Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment