I am so excited about a new cake decorating technique I just learned about recently. My neighbor down the street asked me about a cake she wanted to make for her daughter's birthday. The cake was made with fondant icing which if you've ever had that kind of icing it tastes terrible. It looks really pretty and you can make lots of different decorations with it. She told me about a new fondant recipe made with marshmallows and confectioner's sugar (really good for your health!). So I googled marshmallow fondant and did some experimenting of my own.It's much easier to work with and tastes much, much better than the store bought fondant. It's also less expensive about $3 to cover about two regular sized round cakes compared to about $10 to cover ONE round cake with the traditional fondant.
While I was working with the icing, I just couldn't believe how awesome this new fondant was to work with and eat. It's still not as good as my regular buttercream frosting, but it will increase my creative ability tremendously. I have this one cake book with tons of different cakes made from fondant and now I can make them all! So exciting!
Here's a look at my first attempts with the new fondant recipe. I was just messing around so it's not my best work, but I know with some more practice I can make some spectacular cakes! The one cake is a Mickey Mouse head with stars (it's similar to the cake my neighbor was interested in). The cake above is just a cake Robert, Lauren, and I enjoyed with a rope border and flowers on top.
I really need to work on my picture taking skills, but hopefully you get an idea of what the cakes looked like. When I make another fondant cake, I'll be sure to share some more pictures.

I really need to work on my picture taking skills, but hopefully you get an idea of what the cakes looked like. When I make another fondant cake, I'll be sure to share some more pictures.
4 comments:
They look great! I will have to try this sometime although mine will never look any where near as good as yours!
You did a great job! I still need to come for my first lesson.
Cute cakes!
Your cakes look AWESOME!! I so wish you were still my neighbor!! I LOVE the push-up pic too--that is so very cute!!
Post a Comment